- Trap sortcommand event of the datagrid control.
- Read sortexpression property of the event argument.
- Sort data in grid using current sort expression.
- Use split function to separate column name (which represents database field name) and sort direction. The first element of an array contains database field name.
- If sort direction is ASC then new sort direction is DESC and vice versa. Save the new direction into 2nd element of the array.
- Loop through all columns
If column’s sort expression matches sort expression returned from event argument then
Concatenate first element of an array, space and second element of an array to
build a new sort expression.
Assign new sort expression to current column’s sortexpression property.
Note: In order for this example to work properly write binding SQL query with order by clause with no mention of column names. The column names are appended at run-time to the binding SQL query.